I'm back! After finally getting all moved in, I thought I'd take some time and report how the breadmaking was going. After my first smallish round loaf of bread (made with mostly white flour) I made a second batch with more wheat flour, and decided to allow more time for it to rise the second time. unfortunately, I forgot about it and let it rise too long. Thus, these lumpy dense, hat-looking loaves resulted. Try, try, again.
The third batch of bread came out 1092849 times better than the first!!! I used a mix of wheat and white flour again, I let it rise just long enough to give it a nice texture, but ALAS...I forgot to add salt, oil, and honey. So it looked picture perfect, but tasted...not so delicious. It went down a whole lot easier with butter and jam. (In case you were wondering butter and jam make just about any loaf of bread edible, unless it's too hard to chew, or too moldy to stomach)
I went with homemade strawberry jam.



Those are really pretty loaves, Mary! I've forgotten the add-ins before too. Jam is a lifesaver! You'll have to check out the ones I made this weekend. They were delicious! http://www.anartfamily.com/2010/08/diary-of-our-weekend-foods.html
ReplyDelete